Saturday, April 2, 2011

wow, yeah. Sorry.

hi there. So it's recently been brought to my attention that it's maybe a little bit annoying how infrequently I update my blog here. Sorry, guys... I guess I didn't realize you were reading for reals. I'm a real-live-work in progress. Thanks for bearing with me.
I have had a lot going on lately, and I guess I'm overwhelmed with all that there is to talk about. I will start with the things most pressing, and we'll see where we go from there.

First and foremost, my neck thing. I am still alive.

Surgery went well, I don't have cancer, and I am recovering well.  Even though I personally think it's gross, I have had *many* requests for pictures of the scar...

There it is; I'm pointing it out in case you don't get it.

It's really NBD. Sometimes the healing can be a little rough, and sometimes I maybe have a perma-double-chin look going on because of some swelling, but I digress... Things are healing nicely.
I need to thank many of you for your help through the process of having the operation and the subsequent couple of days. It was really nice to have such a fantastic support system. And! Miracle of miracles! I even got some REAL LIFE COOKIES in the mail from an angel. Seriously, so good (you know who you are).
 Aaaaaaaaaaand I started work this week at this place, which is literally just a few blocks from my house. It's great so far, and it's nice to feel like I have something real to do consistently.  I think I can make it through until September.
Which leads me nicely to my next point of business which is to officially announce that I was accepted to the art history master's program at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. It was my top choice of program... and they are sort of offering me a really (really really) good deal there. I am full of wonder and hope and nerves about what it will be like. I think I'll be calling the bishop of the student ward there to ask for some tips and some help. I haven't fully made my decision about going there just yet, as I was also accepted to BYU's program. I'm not entirely sure what to do sometimes.
Which (again) leads to my next point, which is sometimes (other times than when I don't know what to do...) I feel like it's the smartest thing to leave Provo as fast and with as much dignity as I can muster. I have been very frustrated with some things/people/cultural practices here lately (that's an entire book I could write, I guess...), and I literally cannot wait to leave. It scares me to feel so forcible about leaving a place, to have such a fortitude about fleeing a place that I have really made into my home.
I am going to visit Lincoln at the end of the week. I am excited and nervous. Perhaps I will report here.
Also, I had a really funny experience at the temple this week. Some of you maybe heard it already, but if you didn't, and want to know, I'll tell you. It's better in person, though, so I'm not going to write about it here.
And in rather un-connected pontificational news, I am really grateful for temples. Really. It had been a while since I'd been, but I was able to go twice this week. It was a really good thing for me. I am also happy to be able to hear General Conference. Lots of good things.


2 comments:

Marge Bjork said...

lists of unrelated events in a person's life are pretty marvelous.

 Natalie said...

WORST FRIEND EVER. (I am.) Didn't even know you had to have surgery! What is even going on?! We need to hang out. And I want to hear the temple story, if I'm allowed to.